Friday, January 6, 2012

My Top 5 Albums of 2011 – Number 1


Self Titled by Office of Future Plans
Twitter: @officeplans

Well, this was bound to happen. After letting this album sit on “repeat” on my iPod for over a week straight when it was released there is really no other album I can pick as my #1 for the year. To say that I was a fan of this album before it ever arrived is probably a bit of an understatement. As a fan of J. Robbins work over the last 2 decades (even though I’ve only been listening for the last 6 years or so) I was eagerly awaiting this release, but nothing could have prepared me for what they served up.

Office of Future Plans full-length debut pulls no punches and leaves no ground uncovered. This is an album by a group of incredibly talented musicians at the top of their game and having a blast. From the moment J’s guitar strums the first notes of Salamander I am hooked by this album and once Brooks’ bass and Derek’s drums join the procession, there’s no turning back. This album runs the gamut from full on punk, to mellow indie rock, and all the subtle gradation in-between. While J’s influence is unmistakable, this is definitely an ensemble album. There’s a little bit of every band member present here and the fact that it all gels so perfectly is what makes it shine. I could go on about this some more, but there’s little I could say that I haven’t said already.

This album was both expected and surprising. I knew I’d be a fan before I even heard it, but I had no idea how much. I have to wish Office of Future Plans the best of luck with this release because it’s truly brilliant and these guys deserve some major recognition.  This is an accessible, fun, well-written, well-played album that I think can appeal to a broad range of listeners. Check it out and judge for yourself. Maybe it will end up being your album of the year too.

No comments:

Post a Comment