Sunday, November 20, 2011

Music Review: Office of Future Plans

It’s no secret that I’m a big fan of J Robbin’s work both as a musician and a producer. Like so many things punk I came to his career later in life (later being my mid 20’s) with Channels being my first introduction and the tip of a very large iceberg of music I would later wish I had been listening to all along. My younger self certainly had the mentality for punk, but I was never as into the style of music as I was other things. It wasn’t until just after college that I finally woke up to punk in a big way. Since hearing Channels though I’ve worked my way backwards through J’s career and continue to revisit his music frequently. As you can imagine, when I heard that he had formed a new band with Office of Future Plans, I was excited to hear the results. The official release is this Tuesday (11/22) but since I ordered the vinyl edition of the album I got to download the tracks as soon as my order shipped this past week. Since adding those tracks to my iPod Wednesday, this album has lived in my car on repeat. I’ve probably listened to OFP’s self-titled debut a good 5 or 6 times at this point and “no”, I’m not tired of it yet.

This will easily be one of my top ten albums of the year, but don't just take my word for it,  you should definitely check it out over at Dischord Records’ site and hear some of it for yourself. Anyway, let’s start at the beginning:

Salamander
In describing this album to my friend Mark over Facebook I mentioned that Darren Zentek’s drums were the first thing you heard and it really sets the tone. You see, Mark is a big Fahrenheit 454 fan from back in the day and thus a big fan of Darren’s. The mistake I made was in thinking that this song actually started out with a drum intro, which it does not. Here’s the thing, while not a factual statement, it is at least somewhat “true”. The drums in this song have such an impact that it really does set the tone, not just for the song but for an entire album. Simply speaking, this song comes on like a freight train. I expected good things from this release, but Salamander blew me away in every way possible. It’s an ensemble song that sees every element played to full effect from the aforementioned drums to J’s token minor key strumming.

Lorelei
Here’s what gets me about this band; it’s the intricacy of the arrangements on some of these songs. Just listen to what’s going on here, especially during the chorus. This is a group of musicians at the top of their game and exhibiting virtuosity that is unfortunately absent from more celebrated bands.

Harden Your Heart
As an introduction to OFP on the 7” of the same name this song was probably a perfect choice. If there is one song that sounds most like what we’ve come to expect from J. Robbins it’s this one. There are shades of Jawbox, Burning Airlines, and Channels throughout this song. Gordon Withers being the sole out of place element, but to the point where it almost becomes a mission statement: This is J. Robbins doing what he does best, but it’s also something completely new and you’re going to love it!

Ambitious Wrists
This is the song I had stuck in my head this morning and another example (like Harden Your Heart) of a song that definitely has those expected touches of J’s former bands, but ultimately emerges as a venture unto itself. The staccato of the verse sections recall Channels for me in a big way, thanks in no small part to Darren’s drums of course. Once again, this song breaks from my initial expectations with a driving, melodic chorus and a great bridge that continues to express just how qualified these musicians are.

The Loyal Opposition
This song takes me back to the beginning of the album after a brief trip to J. Robbins nostalgia territory. This is a song that sounds uniquely OFP to me and it’s just catchy and fun.

Your Several Selves
I have to admit, I liked this song better acoustic. Having heard this recorded at an acoustic set by J and Gordon from a year or so ago I’m still getting used to this as a full band song. The bridge just doesn’t work for me for some reason, but like the full album version of Channel’s Chivaree vs the EP version I’m willing to bet I come around to liking this newer recording more in the end.

Abandon
And this is the song I had stuck in my head as I was leaving the coffee shop this morning. The album definitely takes a mellower turn at Your Several Selves and continues with this wonderfully layered meandering stream of a track. This is a track that simply could not exist without Gordon Withers. The cello and J’s vocals intertwine here in a beautiful way.

You’re Not Alone
“Your monkey mind/all “fight or flight” may be one of my favorite lyrics on this album. There’s something clever, but deep about it.

The Beautiful Barricades
Still kinda mellow, but getting back into rocking territory with this song. I don’t know if it’s just the lyrics or if it’s something happening in concert with the music, but there’s a kind of anxiety or a sense of impending action going on in this song. I think I need to lyrics for this one to really get the full effect, because I feel like it’s more than just what I hear on the surface.

FEMA Coffins
This is what really I mean about a return to rocking territory and it's probably the most punk of all the songs on the release. This is another one that I really want the lyrics to. First off, the name “FEMA Coffins” has to be the best track title I’ve heard all year, talk about “loaded”. This is definitely a song about the times we’re living in, there’s a defiant anxiety in this song that recalls the panicked frenzy of Channels’ “To the New Mandarins” for me.

Dumb it Down
This almost reminds me of late era Jawbox. Maybe it’s just J’s impassioned growls, maybe it’s the refrain of “Dumb it down for me”, but it feels angst-y to me, but with that same punk defiance we just heard in FEMA Coffins.

Riddle Me This
I don’t what to say about this song at all. It’s not bad, but it’s different than everything else we’ve heard up to this point. Somehow it just feels like a bonus track to me. This song would totally feel at home popping in randomly after 5 minutes of silence following Dumb it Down. A strange, but interesting end to a great album.

No comments:

Post a Comment