Monday, January 23, 2012

Rhode Island for Sale

Last night I had a dream that I made a lot of money in the stock market. Granted this sounds about as exciting as a dream where you're filing paper work or collating documents, but add explosions and overblown CGI and it may as well have been a summer blockbuster. I'm talking "vivid" here. It was the kind of dream where you wake up and can't shake the feeling that it was true, but as you unravel the absurdities of your personal dream space it becomes apparent that you've just been punk'd by your own sub-conscious mind.

In the dream I apparently had about 20 shares in the state of Rhode Island (I'm assuming this was in some future world where the capitalization of the country has made the very states a traded commodity) and I was checking my portfolio online when all of a sudden the price jumped. I've never actually sold any stocks before so I wasn't quite sure how it all worked. In the dream it was very much like when you're buying tickets for a concert that you know is going to sell out from a vendor you've never used before. You end up getting tickets for the seats you want, but you only have 5 minutes to finish the purchase process and now you have to go through all this rigamarole to register yourself on the site as well as pay for the damn things. It was the same deal in the dream. The price of Rhode Island was fluctuating wildly and I had to jump through all these hoops: setting up a user profile, deciphering capcha codes, the whole nine yards. Eventually I was able to figure the whole process out and ended up selling my 20 shares in Rhode Island for about 100k. Not a bad return for such a small state, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment