Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Process Story

I've been formulating this essay about the "survival of the Unfit Few" for the last few days, but I still haven't gotten it to a point where I want to post it yet. The basic thrust of it is an examination of the inadaquacies of upper management at many game studios and how it is often these unfit, out of touch individuals that are the ones who make the decisions that drive projects into the ground, while the generally more in touch frontline developers are left unheard. It is also these frontline developers who tend to get laid off while their bosses keep their jobs or leverage moves to other lofty positions elsewhere based on their "experience." I often talk about the need for more education in the game industry and the maintenance of a scholarly attitude by studios and individual developers. Today at lunch an associate of mine made a good point in saying that what was probably most important at this stage in the development of the game industry was education for managers, producers, and studio heads, current or prospective. That statement added at least another day of thinking onto the writing of my Unfit Few essay.

Since I've gotten some traffic from the comment I made in regards to the Rock Star San Diego incident, I wanted to post something else before the week was out. This blog isn't always about the game industry, but as someone who has been a developer on and off for the last decade, it's a subject I often find myself talking about. Those who came to view the Quality of Life post may also be interested in several other posts here, including: An Honor Just to be Nominated and Credit Where Credit is Due. There's some other decent, not necessarily game related content on the site as well and while sometimes it's just me talking out of my ass, if you like my game posts, there may be something there for you. Like my tag line says though: take it or leave it ... do both if you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment